Evil is insolent and strong; beauty enchanting, but rare; goodness very apt to be weak; folly very apt to be defiant; wickedness to carry the day; imbeciles to be in great places, people of sense in small, and mankind generally unhappy. “Delphi Complete Works of Henry James (Illustrated)”, p.159, Delphi Classics, Henry James (2013). “The Complete Novels of Henry James: The Portrait of a Lady + The Wings of the Dove + What Maisie Knew + The American + The Bostonian + The Ambassadors + Washington Square and more (Unabridged): Confidence + Roderick Hudson + The Awkward Age + The Europeans + The Golden Bowl + The Other House + The Outcry + The Princess Casamassima + The Reverberator + The Sacred Fount….”, p.1700, e-artnow, Henry James (2013).

“Delphi Complete Works of Henry James (Illustrated)”, p.280, Delphi Classics, Henry James (2011). Remarkable Last Words (or Near-Last Words).
Henry James. Every day we present the best quotes! View all Henry James Quotes. It had been her fortune to possess a finer mind than most of the persons among whom her lot was cast; to have a larger perception of surrounding facts, and to care for knowledge that was tinged with the unfamiliar...It may be affirmed without delay that She was probably very liable to the sin of self-esteem; she often surveyed with complacency the field of her own nature; she was in the habit of taking for granted, on scanty evidence, that she was right; impulsively, she often admired herself...Every now and then she found out she was wrong, and then she treated herself to a week of passionate humility. There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea. But the world as it stands is no narrow illusion, no phantasm, no evil dream of the night; we wake up to it, forever and ever; and we can neither forget it nor deny it nor dispense with it. She ordered a cup of tea, which proved excessively bad, and this gave her a sense that she was suffering in a romantic cause. Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. If you haven't had that what have you had? Money's a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet.

Improve yourself, find your inspiration, share with friends. The only success worth one's powder was success in the line of one's idiosyncrasy... what was talent but the art of being completely whatever one happened to be? It’s just as when one has been trying to spell out a book in the twilight, and suddenly the lamp comes in. The rest is the madness of art. “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the … The effect, if not the prime office, of criticism is to make our absorption and our enjoyment of the things that feed the mind as aware of itself as possible, since that awareness quickens the mental demand, which thus in turn wanders further and further for pasture. These others in ninety-nine cases out of a hundred are women. It's a complex fate, being an American, and one of the responsibilities it entails is fighting against a superstitious valuation of Europe. I would steep myself in America, I would know no other land. It is, I think, an indisputable fact that Americans are, as Americans, the most self-conscious people in the world, and the most addicted to the belief that the other nations of the earth are in a conspiracy to under value them.
When I give myself, I give myself. Enjoy the best Henry James Quotes Page 2 at BrainyQuote. Enjoy the best Henry James quotes and picture quotes! And we know that if it is strong, we are stronger, inasmuch as it passes and we remain. People talk about the conscience, but it seems to me one must just bring it up to a certain point and leave it there. 1881 Gilbert Osmond. Experience is never limited, and it is never complete; it is an immense sensibility, a kind of huge spider-web of the finest silken threads suspended in the chamber of consciousness, and catching every air-borne particle in its tissue. The face of nature and civilization in this our country is to a certain point a very sufficient literary field. Here I stand; I'm as firm as a rock. Overheard by his nephew, Billy James, in 1902; quoted in Leon Edel, Henry James: A Life, vol V: The Master 1901-1916 (1972). Henry James Quotes. But it will yield its secrets only to a really grasping imagination. Experience was to be taken as showing that one might get a five-pound note as one got a light for a cigarette; but one had to check the friendly impulse to ask for it in the same way. He is the same old sausage, fizzing and sputtering in his own grease. The right time is any time that one is still so lucky as to have.

The right time is any time that one is still so lucky as to have.. Live! Quotations by Henry James, American Writer, Born April 15, 1843. Welcome back. “The Daily Henry James: A Year of Quotes from the Work of the Master”, p.172, University of Chicago Press, Henry James (2016). And remember this, that if you've been hated, you've also been loved. Follow AzQuotes on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. He valued life and literature equally for the light they threw upon each other; to his mind one implied the other; he was unable to conceive of them apart. However British you may be, I am more British still.

Ramapo Mountain State Forest Map, Captain America Shield Endgame, Afjrotc Uniform Regulations 2019-2020, Shetland Map Google, Brawndo Has What Plants Crave Gif, Kenyatta University Hospital, Snl Belly Button, Auburn Tennessee Basketball Tickets, Idiocracy Shapes Gif, How Big Is Big Al The Alligator, Diploma In Yoga In Rajkot, Absentia Season 3 Finale Recap, Ancient Peruvian Crossword Clue, Tinley Park Police Scanner, Uga Women's Basketball Recruiting, Stuart Magician, Humpback Rock Hike, Peterborough United Fixtures Bbc, Ucla Men's Gymnastics, National Day Of Prayer 2020 Events, Toda La Vida Lyrics In English, Resident Evil Valerie, Schaumburg Hotels With Jacuzzi In Room, Velus Jones Jr Transfer, Black And White Striped Shirt Men's, Premier League Trophy Vector, Daniel Amartey Fifa 17, Ms Ramaiah Medical College Cut Off Rank, List Of Coach Tour Operators, Jermaine Burton Hudl Calabasas, Red Sox Magnet Schedule, Catskills Hiking Coronavirus, Military Spouse Resentment, Mothers Day Poems From Husband, Cheeba Cheeba Lyrics, Kaaterskill High Peak Buttermilk Falls, House Of Marley Review, Bristol Bears Forum, Evangelisch Schoetmar Lippe Germany, Oregon State Football Schedule 2024, Jordan Mcnair, Martyrs (2015 Ending), Julian Fleming Birth Date, 2018 Oklahoma Sooners, Intermezzo Menu,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu