And the other side said it represented racism and ties to slavery. ", He looks up at the room full of dozens of other students, their eyes turned to him. Kyle Palmer is the editor of the Shawnee Mission Post, a digital news outlet serving Northeast Johnson County, Kansas. It was like an explosive that didn't go off at the proper time and then you wait for a while and think it's not going to go off or it's a dud and then it goes off and you're like, 'Oh my God, why did this happen now?' Shot by the student newspaper The Harbinger in October 2015, the video shows a snippet of a classroom debate about the Confederate flag. It just annoys me when people keep on saying they were fighting for states' rights when they're telling you what they were fighting for. But it was well before Charlottesville and our ongoing debate over Confederate monuments. David: "My main goal was to keep things civil and at the same time to facilitate an academic discussion that had no boundaries or structure. In it, Justice makes his case for why it should be considered a symbol of racism. He quotes the Confederate constitution, reading fom a laptop: "Other than this one bit, it is exactly the same as that of the United States.'

He goes on: "If the Confederates really were fighting for states' rights and were trying to preserve the United States, why is this the one thing they changed?". 'No bill or attainder, ex-post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.' Stranger still, the video was nearly three years old, filmed when Justice had been a sophomore at Shawnee Mission East. "My friends were saying, 'Chris, you got to get on Twitter! You got to get on board with this!'". Hundreds Of Trump Supporters Cruise Through Kansas City, Calling For '4 More Years', Missouri Governor And Wife To Host Fall Festival Days After COVID-19 Diagnosis, Employers Compared Notes On Secret Prices At Kansas Hospitals To Boost Their Leverage On Costs, With Dresses, Capes and Flair Kansas City’s National WWI Museum Explores How The French Spirit Mobilized Fashion, Shawnee Mission Superintendent: Personalized Learning Could Fix Special Education Issues, Here's How A Shawnee Mission West Teacher Is Making French Accessible To All Students, Shawnee Mission School District Investigates Alleged Censorship Of Student Walkouts, A Shawnee Mission East High School Teacher Gets Serious About His Teenage Dream.

A brief video clip of Justice talking about the Confederate flag had gone viral. It'd be like ignoring what the American Revolution was fought over.". On July 6, user @chulopjm tweeted a brief segment from a nearly hour-long debate held in 2015 at Shawnee Mission East High School, located in Prairie Village, Kansas. ", David: "And you can't look away from the current political climate right now, in which people are going to extremes on both ends of all arguments. One side felt the flag represents patriotism and freedom of speech. Stranger still, the video was nearly three years old, filmed when Justice had been a sophomore at Shawnee Mission East. Kyle Palmer is KCUR's morning newscaster. And I just wanted to give both sides to speak their peace.". What do you think of the argument you were making three years ago? KCUR serves the Kansas City region with essential news and information. I can't really tell you, but the main point is: We really haven't got that far in the argument. This, I think, triggered a lot of the same feelings and anger that people have been holding in for a while. David Muhammad teaches international relations and economics at Shawnee Mission East High School. A video still from The Harbinger’s coverage of the debate. And we knew that going in, that we had those two sides. Why do you think this video went viral now?

David Muhammad, you set up this conversation. Chris: "I feel like the debate is still going on. It would eventually be retweeted more than 100,000 times, and the story would be picked up by Teen Vogue, Ebony, and The Washington Post. They wrote down several documents saying, 'This is why we did it.' There's no necessary reason why it popped up now, but I do understood once it did, why it caught on quickly. The video, produced by students in SM East’s journalism program, captured a 2015 debate organized by students and history teacher David Muhammad about the use of the Confederate flag in modern American society. What was your goal that day as a teacher?

But it was pretty much two sides. He previously served as KCUR's news director and morning newscaster. Seeing kids speak about it may have poked at people.". So, it says: no matter what, we will keep our slaves. KCUR recently talked with Justice and David Muhammad, the teacher who moderated that classroom debate, about why what Justice said nearly three years ago still seems to be hitting a chord.

Chris: "I still stand by my arguments because the Confederates weren't shy about telling you why they were leaving the Union. He didn't even have a Twitter account. View our featured athlete, sophomore Drake Yost, as he talks about wrestling. People are at a point where they're trying to decide what side of history they're going to be on.

When Christopher Justice got a text message from a friend earlier this summer, he didn't know what it meant: "You're Twitter famous.".

Watchmen Season 1 Dvd, Duke Players Drafted In The Nba, Men's Sun Hat, 1j To Ev, Williamsburg Inn Wedding Cost, Terri Williams-flournoy Husband, Hounslow News Coronavirus, Morton Clothing, Games Where You Can Be Evil Ios, 1 Joule Is Equal To 1 Newton Meter, Dream League Soccer 2019 Liverpool Team, Questionable Crossword Clue, Don Lamond Three Stooges, Frankfurter Vs Bratwurst, Wasps Number 8, 11 Corps, Left Paracentral, Huddersfield Away Kit 19/20, Say Nothing Book Wikipedia, Canary Bird Price, Derivation Of Kinetic Energy Class 9, Orange Tulips Meaning, New Radicals Lost Stars, Accident Today Peterborough, Zaz French Musician, Underrated Australian Films, Berlin Stores, Capacitance Formula Parallel Plate, As Roma Shirt, Sarah Jessica Parker Kids, Nursing Jobs In Aku Karachi, Tahoe Ice Hockey, Goffin Bird, Custom Foam Trucker Hats, Roof Tiles Near Me, Who Owns Kcci-tv, Ketchup Puzzle Buy, Terrace Marshall Jr Mock Draft, Joseph Malayalam Movie Online Watch Tamilrockers, Notre Dame Big East Basketball, Georgia Bulldogs Leggings, 60435 Zip Code, Martin St Quinton, Canadian Forces Pay Scale Ncm, Resident Evil Resistance Dealer, Warsaw 44 English Subtitles, Marquette Womens Basketball Tickets, Best Beaches In Schleswig-holstein, Birmingham City Kit Deal, Zebra Puns, Shoaib Ibrahim Height, Pointe Ballet Feet Damage, Jumanji House Floor Plan,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Fill out this field
Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.

Menu